Wednesday, June 16, 2010

for father's day




I've been keeping an ever-growing stack of Adelaide's abstract art for a long time now, waiting for an idea to make something of them. Finally, I was inspired with Father's Day coming up, and so this morning Adelaide and I spent some time together making up some gifts for her Daddy.

To make our Father's Day signs, I printed the word in Adobe Illustrator (but you could use any program with type), and outlined it in a thin .25 pt line. I printed it out onto sheets of heavy watercolour paper cut down to 8.5 x 15" in size. The typeface I used is called Mrs. Eaves.

Or, if you would like, you are welcome to use our template and size it as you need. You may download it here:
When I had some time without Adelaide around, I used a new, sharp exacto blade and cutting mat to cut out the letters. (After ruining too many projects, I now buy exacto blades in bulk and change my blades often). I cut out each letter just on the outside of each line, so that the line would no longer show when the letter was removed. I wasn't too worried about staying perfect and close to the outline, but rather I tried to keep my wrist from tightening up, pivoted the paper beneath the blade as needed. When each letter was cut out, I kept all the pieces in a small box - perhaps the letters can be used for a later projects, and also I didn't want to lose the cut out middle pieces from the letters such as "D".



This morning, together Adelaide and I then went through her stack of artwork. We selected several pages in all colours which had some nice markings on them, and in a variety of mediums - collage, watercolour, crayon, marker, pastel. Then we used the cut out sign as a window to find nice framing for each letter. We also made the words into a rainbow using the appropriate colours.



Adelaide really enjoyed sticking a few pieces of masking tape to the backs of the cut artworks, and then laying the word-frame on top of the art, and patting it down to make it stick. Then we would flip it all over, and tape down it all down securely. When all was secure, I glued another sheet of watercolour paper to the back, rolled it with a brayer, and pressed it underneath some heavy books to set.

Adelaide is really pleased with the results of our collaboration. She is very proud of them and wants to give her daddy her gift right now! She is also usually camera-shy, but she even wanted to be photographed with it!

28 comments:

Lise said...

What a great idea! Those came out beautifully. Daddy and Granpa should be thrilled.

Tiffany said...

Aww... they're so beautiful and cheerful :D Adelaide is so cute showing off her artwork.

Christine--RHP said...

oh my goodness! those are beautiful!!
(and that bottom pic is just the sweetest thing...)

Stephanie said...

I think I will have to do this for Father's Day. SO creative, yet so simple. I love visiting your blog for great ideas.

Elizabeth Johnson said...

She is so cute! And this is such a cute idea!

Carla said...

Beautiful job you 2. She looks very proud of them. I hope you guys have a very wonderful father's day together.

growfamilygrow said...

First, happy birthday!

Second. Thank you! This is a fabulous idea.

Melissa@Vidastyle said...

fabulous idea, I love these!

Amanda said...

I really love this idea Sharilyn - such a clever way to make use of little artworks and so special. Will have to keep this in mind for when my daughter is bigger. Hope 'Daddy' and 'Granpa' like their gifts x

Laura said...

I love that idea! It turned out so well and I like that it uses lots of different artworks. :)

Ana Degenaar said...

That is so cute, I love it!

Islay said...

They look beautiful! Such a gorgeous idea for father's day.

Carina said...

Such a lovely idea and can just think how lovely it will be for daddy and granpa to open it. Have a lovely day. Carina x (www.carina-at-home.com)

mixette said...

Ha! I learned the cost of a dull blade the hard way: slicing through my thumb while pressing down too hard, and now I buy no. 11 exacto blades by the 100-pack.

What a cute idea, and your model and her lovely long hair are very sweet.

La Mañosa said...

Aww, that is the sweetest idea ever! She looks very happy with your collaborations!

Hilary said...

What an awesome idea for a gift! I'll have to remember that for when I have little ones. :)

See Me Everywhere said...

Oh my goodness that's the sweetest little girl!!! What a beautiful family :)

x

TheFiveDays said...

Gorgeous! The projects, and Miss Adelaide! Thank you for the wonderful instructions!

babalisme said...

Aaaaaaw, I wish I could see daddy and granpa's faces when they see it.

Gül said...

I adore her proud-expression when posing with the together-made wonderful gifts!

Anonymous said...

did you spell grandpa like that on purpose?

Deanna said...

Wonderful idea that truly comes from the heart.?

Felicity said...

A Father's Day gift that will last through the ages bringing a hugs smile to Dad's and Grandfather's for a long time to come.

Thank you for sharing,
xx Felicity

Daneilia @ Anchors Away said...

Your daughter is so pretty!!! The project of yours and hers is so adorable.

BostonsMom said...

This is such a great idea--- a nice afternoon craft to surprise Daddy with when he gets home from work. My little one is really young, so we might try fingerpainting and then placing the template over it.

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your beautiful Father's Day project! You can see it here:

http://funfamilycrafts.com/watercolor-daddy-sign/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

Claudia Veltman said...

thank you so much for such a great idea !!! er had a lot of fun making those ! we are hoping to surprise daddy and grandad on sunday !!! im sure they are gonna love it !!!
x

Anonymous said...

Love it OMG!!!